[OSM-talk] Pedestrian crossings and barriers

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Aug 2 23:29:55 BST 2007

Dave Stubbs wrote:
>> And if it's absolutely necessary that you use animals and candy to refer
>> to your crossings, please at least follow Frederick Ramm's suggestion
>> and indicate that they're UK-specific by doing either uk:crossing=zebra
>> (etc) or crossing=uk:zebra.
>
> If it's UK specific then the chances are that the tag will mainly be
> used within the UK.
> As such I really don't think you have much to worry about.

The tag's not UK-specific; other places have designated locations to
cross the road.

What I meant was that either the value should be indicated as being
UK-specific (crossing=uk:zebra) meaning "this is a crossing of the
UK-specific type 'zebra'"

Or the key should be indicated as being UK-specific so that a generic
world map renderer can be made without needing to understand every
possible name for a crossing type for every country.  That is, a
crossing could be tagged as follows:

crossing=whatever (generic world-wide term)
uk:crossing=zebra (or crossing:uk=zebra)

This way, a world-wide renderer could render all crossing=whatever a
certain way, but those in the UK who wanted to know what exact type of
crossing it was would still have that information available.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"