[OSM-talk] New tool: Generate coastlines from Landsat imagery

Darryl Shpak darryl at shpak.ca
Sat Aug 4 03:11:32 BST 2007

Hi all,

I've just checked in Lakewalker, a tool that can be used to
automatically generate coastline data from NASA's Landsat imagery. I've
used it to trace a lot of the lakes and islands in my area; an example
can be seen at
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=53&lon=-100.5&zoom=12&layers=0B00F000

The resulting data is significantly higher resolution than the PGS
import, and can be used in areas where there is no PGS data.

Lakewalker resides in
svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/import/lakewalker, and requires
Python and the Python Imaging Library. Minimal documentation is
available in the README and with the --help option.

If you have questions or suggestions, feel free to email me directly or
look for me on #osm.

- Darryl (DShpak)