[OSM-talk] Pubs, stores, clubs and the way they are rendered

Tom Chance tom at acrewoods.net
Sun Aug 5 11:19:08 BST 2007

Hullo,

Yann wrote:
> Here is a screenshot from the center of london I took this morning:
> http://waste.mandragor.org/pubs.png
>
> It seems that pubs take a predominant place in the map. If we render
> pubs, we will soon render clubs, stores, etc, directly on the mapnik
> layer...
> I am afraid this will be a bit "too much" . On the screenshot I have
> taken, the names of the pubs are written on top of the names of the
> road, and having so many icons makes the map ugly (very personal point
> of view I admit). Same for the recycle containers, having them
> rendered (directly) on the map...
>
> On the other hand, these informations are useful, and should be
> available. I would love to see these data as mashups, or added layers,
> that we could enable/disable manually - instead of having them
> directly rendered on the mapnik layer.

That's the Osmarender layer, not Mapnik, and I don't see the Mapnik
people directly following the Osmarender stylesheet any time soon. The
Mapnik shot of that area looks quite tidy and informative to me:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.51414165367965&lon=-0.1329185661226405&zoom=17&layers=B0F

I would really like to see a more flexible UI for enabling/disabling
layers to display all sorts of different info, mind you. Multimap have
quite a nice, if limited, UI for this.

Kind regards,
Tom