[OSM-talk] Two experimental map services

spaetz osm at sspaeth.de
Mon Aug 6 15:45:02 BST 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 03:28:01PM +0200, Jochen Topf wrote:
> http://geo.topf.org/comparison/index.html lets your compare different
> Google and OSM maps side by side. If you move or zoom one, the other
> will follow. This is for informational purposes only, don't use it to
> lookup Google map data and enter it into OSM.

I know that this existed for Google and Yahoo maps, it's cool to see that for OSM as well.

> http://geo.topf.org/tileproxy/index.html overlays OSM maps over Google
> satellite and arial images. I wrote a little proxy which will take the
> usual Mapnik tiles and make them transparent on the fly. No caching is
> done so it might be slow.

That is fantastic! I am impressed, our maps look so much better with that background :-). Is there a special reason, that e.g. osma doesn't produce transparent tiles by default (we could than underlay those relief tiles as well)? That would make the output even prettier.

Well done, Jochen

spaetz