[OSM-talk] Two experimental map services

Jochen Topf jochen at remote.org
Mon Aug 6 16:58:04 BST 2007

On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 04:45:02PM +0200, spaetz wrote:
> > http://geo.topf.org/tileproxy/index.html overlays OSM maps over Google
> > satellite and arial images. I wrote a little proxy which will take the
> > usual Mapnik tiles and make them transparent on the fly. No caching is
> > done so it might be slow.
>
> That is fantastic! I am impressed, our maps look so much better with that background :-). Is there a special reason, that e.g. osma doesn't produce transparent tiles by default (we could than underlay those relief tiles as well)? That would make the output even prettier.

It depends on what exactly you want to do. For instance for the overlay
it would be better to not render forests, so they don't appear as large
green blobs when you can see much better that they are forests from the
sat images. There are so many different ways of arranging the existing
data for different uses.

My hack ist just that, a quick hack. I hope that somebody will produce
native Mapnik and/or Osmarender tiles with transparent background and
styles which go nicely with the sat images.

Jochen