[OSM-talk] Soccer or football?

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Tue Aug 7 09:09:11 BST 2007

At 12:49 AM 7/08/2007, Brent Easton wrote:

>>Is there any reason why we can't have sport=football (a game played
>>with two teams where each team chases a ball according to one of a
>>number of rulesets), code=soccer or some such thing? Renderers can
>>then have a generic icon that can be overridden at will.
>

>I think the preferred method now is:
>
>  sport=football
>  football=australian_rules
>
>This seems far more logical than creating additional tags that not obviously related to the primary tag in question.

That sounds a good approach. Though I do prefer using sport=soccer for "the game with two teams kicking a round, black-and-white ball".  No ambivalence and widely understood.   That would leave the default for "football" in the US to the gridiron American Football and in Australia to any of Australian Rules, Rugby League or Rugby Union (as I understand it).

Mike