[OSM-talk] Few questions on highway=track

Jon Bright jon at siliconcircus.com
Tue Aug 7 09:14:01 BST 2007

Hi,

Freek wrote:

> Of course there's no one "true" meaning of highway=track, but I'd still like
> to know what the majority of British mappers would consider a track
> (especially public unpaved roads, sometimes hardly accessible for normal
> cars).

I've been playing around with routing using the osm data.  Speaking from
that perspective, I think I'd prefer:

  - highway=unclassified; surface=unpaved if it's passable by car
  - highway=track; if it's not (or only by suitably built cars)

Basically, for a normal route using a car, highway=unclassified would
then be fair game.  highway=track would not.

--
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.