[OSM-talk] Few questions on highway=track

Rik van der Helm rik at the-quickest.com
Tue Aug 7 10:44:04 BST 2007

The main thing I learned from the replies is that the map_features is
more about presenting a general legend on the way renderers present the
map then it is a reflection of the consensus the osm-community has on
the use and meaning of keys. That said and in reply on Allan I should
suggest Hawke not only to replace highway=unsurfaced, but also
highway=byway in the map_features. It would be nice to have more
examples of the rendering of keys in the Map_features. If I may not know
what keys mean, let me at least know how they look like on a map.

and now ... 'back on track'. I learned:
- highway=track doesn't say anything about access
(car=yes;cycles=yes,foot=yes,...)
- highway=track is mainly used for unpaved 'ways' unsuitable for
'normal' cars.

Thanks, Rik