[OSM-talk] JOSM Tools to fix coastlines

Francisco R. Santos frsantos at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 12:17:40 BST 2007

On 8/8/07, Robert (Jamie) Munro <rjmunro at arjam.net> wrote:

> Francisco R. Santos wrote:
> >
> > On 7/25/07, *Robert (Jamie) Munro* <rjmunro at arjam.net
> > <mailto:rjmunro at arjam.net>> wrote:
> >
> >> I've spent a bit of time trying to fix the coastline of Norway, making
> >> the sea on the right of all the segments. It's a huge job that could
> >> probably be made much easier with better tools:
> >
> >> Could Josm's mappaint plugin be made to paint coastlines with a line of
> >> grey (or whatever color) and 3-4 pixels of blue colour to the right of
> >> the segment, so that you can see that the segment is facing the right
> >> way from a distance, even if you don't have the arrows on?
> >
> >> Could validator detect when two coastline ways meet but point in
> >> opposite directions?
> >
> > That could be done easily.  I'll take a look next week.
>
> That would be a great help. It just struck me that it should also detect
> where a coastline way doesn't meet with another coastline way (or loop
> back on itself).

Yesterday I began coding this check. The  opposite directions check is done,
and the "meet other coastline" is also easy, I think.

>> Could validator detect when two coastline ways run parallel without
> >> other ways in between running opposite?
> >
> > That is more complicated, and right now I don't know how to do it. I'll
> > need to think about it.
>
> If it helps, it occurs to me that any line drawn through a map should
> cross coastlines in alternate directions. You could test the  lines
> making the borders of the downloaded area, then draw lines that pass
> through any ways that haven't been tested already.

I've thinking about it, and maybe this test is not necessary at all. If two
coastlines run in parallel, it is because at some point the lines meet
pointing in opposite directions, right?