[OSM-talk] Contacting OSM editors

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 13:39:36 BST 2007

> Perhaps you could have an automated web form and/or API call which takes a
> way or node id, and has a text area for a message.  It would require a
> login to minimise abuse/random webcrawlers and allows messages from a
> particular OSM user to be sent on to the email address of the person who
> last touched it.  If that doesn't always pull out the problem edits then
> I guess it could send to all people who edited a way/node using history.
>
> Something like that gets around the data protection concerns.  I'd
> suggest they be archived somewhere that admins at least can see.
>
> Is that possible?

An alternative .. couldn't OSM broker anonymous messages between users? There would be no obligation to respond, but they could communicate if they wish. Ignores could be set if the anonymous user didn't want to receive more messages. This would be very easy to add into Rails.

Seems like this wouldn't violate any privacy, unless I'm missing some subtlety?

> As an aside, I always thought it'd be nice to see who's been mapping
> nearby so you could contact each other and potentially join forces to
> map a particular section.

Absolutely useful for both cooperation and resolutions.