[OSM-talk] Contacting OSM editors

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 9 15:58:54 BST 2007

Hi,

> I was thinking (a). Unless I'm remembering wrong, these ids were
> being sent out through the API

They are not  - if you request an object edited by someone who is not
"public" you simply don't get any user information, not even the
numerical id.

(Serving the numerical id would probably be problematic if one
applies a strict interpretation of data protection laws, as this id
would, together with a few mailing list posts like "I mapped the Lake
District yesterday", give away the identity of the person.)

Bye
Frederik