[OSM-talk] Potlatch and the destruction of good work (N6 Ireland)

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 07:55:06 BST 2007

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Tom Hughes wrote:
>
>> He's a little reluctant to post here because the archives (which
>> he has read) include email addresses that are only fairly
>> lightly obfuscated.
>
> This happens all the time on Wikipedia.  People want to help, but
> can't disclose who they are.  Perhaps because they are better
> people than us who out ourselves?  Do they expect to be treated
> with kindness?  In return for what?  I'm no big fan of anonymity.

I think the problem here is not simply wanting to remain anonymous but the
fear of increasing spam because of 'publication' of email addresses.
( Actually THAT is yet another reason 'reply to' address should be the list
for list posts - but I will not rake that hot potato - everyone posting here
has already had their email address culled ;) ) Personally I have to live with
the fact that my domain name is used without my permission simply because
there is no way of controlling 'spoofing' and probably 80%+ of the traffic TO
me is simply scrapped - amongst which I KNOW there ARE legitimate emails being
culled by email relays simply because my email address has been spoofed. I
can't help feeling that a small charge per message ( 0.005$ or so ) to send
them would go a long way to killing a lot of the crap, but no doubt the
'crappers' would work out how to benefit from that as well :( and would work
out away to avoid paying.
I just live with the fact that just using my email address will get it on a
list somewhere as even obfuscated names are no problem to cull automatically.
There are people out there who get paid to build email lists, so a little
'nospam' or <a> is fairly pointless now?

PERSONALLY - I see no reason that any submissions to the core data should be
done anonymously and that MUST be set up as a rule going forward. If someone
does not like it then to be honest - tough. Accessing things like email
address FOR the identified commit is a different matter? And if people
understand the difference between a display name and their identity EVERYBODY
should be happier!

MESSAGING to users should be via the site so that email addresses do not need
to be posted and I WOULD include the email list in that - although as I say it
is purely academic. The historic situation needs to be resolved, but I think
that there needs to be a little more messaging related to changes being
posted. Like the CIA messaging or commit logs for code. I think that the N6
type problems would be prevented if - when someone posts an anonymous change
to an existing element - that has to be approved by the person who's work is
being modified?

I still have not got round to finding out how I monitor who is making changes
in my area so this may already be possible? Actually I still haven't found the
time to update to a new set of tools that work with the current API so I can't
get on updating my own data. :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL