[OSM-talk] Contacting OSM editors

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 11:11:19 BST 2007

> They are not  - if you request an object edited by someone who is not
> "public" you simply don't get any user information, not even the
> numerical id.
>
> (Serving the numerical id would probably be problematic if one
> applies a strict interpretation of data protection laws, as this id
> would, together with a few mailing list posts like "I mapped the Lake
> District yesterday", give away the identity of the person.)

Hmm. I would argue that if they were posting details of where they were mapping to the list, then they have made their identity public. If someone wished to maintain strict privacy over their mapping, then they shouldn't make those details public themselves. If the API reveals anonymous numerical ids, it's still solely up to the user to reveal their identity or not.