[OSM-talk] UK: Trunk-Primary

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 14:27:08 BST 2007

Ben Robbins wrote:
> I dislike the way the most common arguement around here is if people
> themselves have an erge to know something.  If there is data and its
> about things being added, and its relevent to a map then don't restrict
> people adding it.   I never said I have any intention of printing off
> maps of the UK HA managed Trunk road system, but someone may, and there
> are the list of green signed roads is difffernt to the governments list
> of HA roads, and we should allow people to be able to render off maps in
> either of these ways, not just a way that we have chosen. The data is
> avaiable from the HA and its on the wiki, so we may as well use it.

Although it would seem that ever THEIR data may well be inaccurate, and the
primary route map seams to be similarly incompletely recorded as well :(

> In conclusion to my reply's to the points above:
>
> management= would be fine rather than signage, doesn't really bother me
> which is used.  Then on the wiki, I'd alter the bit that says "Many UK
> OSM users follow the practice that all green-signed A routes " to say
> something more definate then, so that the tag has a understood value.

It was only today that *I* discovered that 'green' was not 'trunk'. I simply
assumed it was. But now that we have privately owned ( M6 Toll ) and privately
managed ( A46 around here ) roads, then a 'management' tag would be useful
although defaulting to the local council could be fun since we do not have
county boundaries ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL