[OSM-talk] Tagging Castles

Chris Fleming me at chrisfleming.org
Mon Aug 13 15:07:15 BST 2007

Abigail Brady wrote:
> On 8/13/07, *David Earl* <david at frankieandshadow.com
> <mailto:david at frankieandshadow.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dos this apply to all areas, and on which maps? It's not documented as
>     far as I can see, and Ely Cathedral would benefit from this. Can't
>     say I
>     care about the process for getting it there, but if this is a
>     useful tag
>     that gets rendered on one or both maps, it would be handy to have
>     it on
>     map_features as it is de facto standard.
>

> Can't speak for mapnik, but t at h will render any area with a building
> tag on it.  Suggest using "building=cathedral" or "building=castle",
> but "building=yes" would show up as well.
The question is, having already labeled the castle with
historic=castle,  tourism=attraction and name="XXXX castle" adding
building=castle seems a little redundant?

So I've been thinking that it may be worth thinking of the building tag
more like a bridge tag, we have plenty of other tags to give details of
what something is and the building tag is a good way of indicating that
it's a building? (as apposed to an area on the ground for example)

Cheers
Chris

--
http://www.chrisfleming.org/