[OSM-talk] Highway tagging in general around the world

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Aug 16 00:08:07 BST 2007

Steve Coast wrote:

> No I think that's super dumb. It's never going to work, ask the OGC.
>
> If in the UK we have M, A and B roads. If in country X you have T, F
> and D roads then just tag them that way.

I think that's super dumb.  To me, it doesn't make much sense to
redesign a tagging scheme from scratch for each country just because the
terms used are different.

Where it's possible to tag "generically" I think it should be done, and
some planning should be done to make this as easy as possible. Sometimes
it's simply not possible, but I feel that only in those cases should
there be country- or region-specific tags.

If you want the system to know that a given road meets some UK standard
that defines a motorway, then those specific tags could also come in
handy.  But for nearly every purpose, motorway, interstate, and autobahn
have so much in common that distinguishing among them is not very useful.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"