[OSM-talk] cartography of highway:track; mapnik rendering

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Aug 16 21:02:20 BST 2007

Steve Coast wrote:
> I really like the tweaks that have been put in to mapnik recently.
> One thing stands out though - the dashed red line in mapnik for
> highway:track seems at odds with what other maps do. I have several
> tracks that exactly fit the description of map_features
> highway:track, but the rendering looks kind of jarring when I'm
> expecting something like how highway:service is rendered.

For what it's worth, I'd expect something like highway=service but with
an broken/dashed orange casing.  Essentially like osmarender does it,
only with a broken/dashed casing.

While we're discussing mapnik, I'd also like to see street names
rendered for highway=tertiary at a more distant zoom, say around z14.

Rendering residential street names at z14, where they'll fit within the
street length, might also be good.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"