[OSM-talk] Informationfreeway defaults to sea if tile unloadable, e.g. due to proxy being unreachable

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Fri Aug 17 07:31:26 BST 2007

Hi Folks,

I've been noticing recently that for me, when using informationfreeway that
with the default layer selection of 'The Map' random tiles are showing as
sea, but, if I choose direct, they don't show as sea anymore, which is what
I've been doing...

In an attempt to isolate the problem, rather than just always using dev
direct which isn't very dev friendly, I just tried each of the layers in
turn to find out what was giving sea... What appears to be causing it is
that for some reason I'm not able to resolve osm.sandos.se from here, so,
attempts to load tiles from that proxy are failing and the javascript is
just putting a sea tile in place instead, thanks to this snippet of code it
would seem...

OpenLayers.Util.onImageLoadError = function() {
      this.src='http://www.informationfreeway.org/images/emptysea.png'
   }

I'm not really sure how openlayers works or javascript generally, but, would
it not be possible for this error handler to instead of just displaying a
sea tile at the first sign of a problem, perhaps try another proxy first?
I'm not sure, but, isn't it very unlikely that any error would actually be
due to the tile being sea? I've tried a few random bits of sea directly from
dev, and it does seem to be serving a blank sea tile even though there are
no tiles on disk according to the info page, rather than actually returning
any form of error...