[OSM-talk] Name finder: "Budapesterplatz" vs. "Budapester platz"

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 08:02:20 BST 2007

On 8/17/07, David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com> wrote:
> I'll have a think about it. It is built around matching words at the
> moment, so I don't think it will be straightforward, but then I
> appreciate there is a problem here especially in the Germanic and
> Scandinavian languages.

What you essentially need to do it split up names both in the search
term and in the data. For example in NL the street designation is
stuck as part of the name. If you have streets like "Gerdesiaweg"
ideally you wold like it to be found when you search for "Gerdesia".

Common suffixes are "laan", "weg", "straat", "plaats". There are
others (like "einde") but these are unusual enough that no-one is
going to worry about them.

> I think it ill be much harder to find a street named "Budapester Platz"
> if you type "Budapesterplatz" than the other way round. But having made
> that observation may help me solve the problem.

I don't think this is as much of a problem in NL,  evenone is pretty
consistant about  always using a suffix.

Have a nice day,