[OSM-talk] Contributing to JOSM.

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 17:14:29 BST 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 12:09:53PM +0100, David Earl wrote:
> >>Anyone knows a good spam filter that works with mailman?
>
> Why not simply restrict posting to the list to people who are members?
> Presumably most of the spam is coming from non-list-members, yes?
>
> Under "Privacy options" ->"Sender Filters", set "Action to take for
> postings from non-members for which no explicit action is defined." to
> "Reject" or "Discard".

Because "Reject" sends a mail back to the forged sender of
the spam (a bit no-no you will realise if you've ever been
on the receiving end of blow-back), and "Discard" means
legitimate senders don't realise they need to subscribe.

Unfortunately mailing list systems haven't caught up with
today's spam fighting and e-mail systems. :-( I'm sure exim
and mailman could be integrated more; haven't had the time
to work on that one yet.[1]

(Yeah, I know - osm talk is set up to reject - here is
another offer to give someone pointers on how to get
spamassassin installed for lists.osm. Maybe we need an IRC
"exim+spamassassin+clamav howto" session sometime!)

Cheers,

--
Matthew