[OSM-talk] Contributing to JOSM.

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 21:37:00 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 06:06:20PM +0100, Steve Coast wrote:
> I run SA on an identical VM with websites etc on it too, and it works
> fine in daemon mode. It went mental being called from the command
> line with multiple instances though :-)

Heh ;)

I am temporarily running spamassassin on a UML linux VM at
work to take some load off the main mail servers
(replacements are being worked on :) ). I think the VM has
128M ram, maybe 256. It seems to run OK, although it's not
doing anything else. Amazing the difference one extra
virtual machine makes on a HP server when added to three
Sparc Solaris servers ;-)

The main thing to do of course is to tweak the number of
children down to not use more memory than available. I fail
to remember how much each child uses roughty these days (in
the 50-60Mb range without extra rules maybe?) - probably one
child would be OK.

It needs to run as a daemon for exim to talk to it sensibly
anyway, so that's not a problem. Of course, there is nothing
stopping it running on another box, as it talks over TCP. A
small SA on the VM with --max-children=1 and another on db
or dev maybe with --max-children=2 would probably be quite a
good setup.

I'm testing out OpenVZ as a virtual solution at work, rather
than UML - if that performs much better (initial thinking
and tests show that it will) then maybe 80n wouldn't mind
sharing a 1-child SA on the VM we host that's currently
running the Zappy database. Of course that is impossible
with UML, which is too slow already. OpenVZ is about 1%
speed loss from "real", so should be much better.

Cheers,

--
Matthew