[OSM-talk] JOSM geometry support

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Aug 23 23:51:42 BST 2007

Christoph Eckert wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I'm a bit unsure at the moment how one would best implement
>> these functions without interfering too much with traditional JOSM
>> functions - maybe create an extra layer or so... what geometry
>> functions do *you* want and how would you like them?
>
> you shouldn't have asked ;-) . I'm working in the CAD world, so if
> things sound fuzzy, don't hesitate to ask me for clarification:
>
> * Assumed segments would disappear, the segment tool would disappear as
> well. Then we'd probably (and hopefully :) have a node and a "way"
> creation tool

I had assumed that JOSM UI operation would change little for this
change, and what changes there would be, would be for the better:
The current 'way' tool would be used instead to combine sets of
single-node-pair ways into one.  Its extra use for "create new way from
/n/ segments?" would simply go away.  Single-node-pair ways could even
still render in green, if that's useful. (or all ways could even render
green: dark blue on black is really hard to see).  The current "add all
selected segments to the selected way" would go away too, as that could
happen automatically as the "segments" were created (just add
newly-created segments to the selected way automatically, as they're
created).

I don't know if the JOSM developers agree with my expectations, but I
certainly hope so.

-Alex Mauer "hawke"