[OSM-talk] JOSM geometry support

matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-osm at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 23:56:16 BST 2007

On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 12:46:28AM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> >However, does the projection issue really show up on something as
> >small as roundabouts?
>
> Oh yes it does! See
>
> http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/epsg4326.png
> http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/mercator.png
>
> - both show the same Karlsruhe roundabout, one with JOSM set to
> EPSG4236, one with JOSM set to Mercator. The "align in circle" will
> always create something that is a circle on screen, i.e. if I choose to
> work with EPSG4326 in JOSM and use "align nodes in circle", then a map
> created in the Mercator projection, e.g. our slippy maps, will show an
> oval that is much higher than it is wide.
>
> As long as I leave JOSM set to Mercator it works fine, so it's not
> really a big issue.

Ah, OK - so am I correct in saying that it works world-wide as long as
the JOSM projection is Mercator?

If this is the case then the code just needs to make sure it is using
that projection, I guess. I never use EPSG4326 anyway, everything just
looks "wrong" --- even the GPS traces here look oval with that ;-).

Thanks,

--
Matthew