[OSM-talk] A new highway tagging scheme - thinking about tagging highways for cycling and walking as well

Jeffrey Martin dogshed at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 22:36:03 BST 2007

On 8/27/07, Peter Miller <peter.miller at itoworld.com> wrote:

> I suspect that we are going to tease out national differences in road
> classification and that our model should be able to accommodate this
> differences. We also need to agree a way of classifying Ways for different
> sorts of users.
>

> There seems to be agreement that the 'highway' tag should really be an
> indication of it's drivability, ie how useful it is for the driver of a
> vehicle, rather than its classification (A road, B road etc). btw, I have
> noticed that Google Maps don't rigidly stick to 'Red for A road' , 'brown
> for B road' etc, it seems to be much more about relative levels of use. For
> example, in the example linked to below there are two B roads coming off the
> A1152 as it heads east out of Woodbridge, the first, the B1083 heads south
> before the golf course, and the second, the B1084 (Orford Road) heads East
> after the golf course. One is rendered by Google as a very minor road, the
> other as a 'tertiary' road and it is certainly true that Orford Road is the
> busier road. Also, follow the A1152 further east and notice that it turns
> into the B1069 the other side of Rendlesham (according to my mapping) but
> Google keep it red and fail to show the new road class and code.
>

> http://geo.topf.org/comparison/index.html?mt0=googlemap&mt1=tah&lon=1.3540649&lat=52.0977006&z=14
>

> In the past I tagged roads strictly according to their classification
> (trunk, A, B, etc), but I now tag them so that the drivability of the place
> is revealed. Personally I agree that administration should be a completely
> different tag.
>

> Note however that as a cyclist or as a walker the classification is
> completely different. How about keeping the 'highway' tag for classification
> of drivable routes for motor vehicles, and invent something else for
> cyclists and other groups of road users?
>

> For cyclists a national cycle route would probably be given the highest
> cycle classification, a regional cycle route the next one, and a local cycle
> route the 3rd level. Other Ways recommended for cycling could also be tagged
> with a cycle-classification and Ways can also be tagged with 'no' if they
> should not be used.
>

> To keep it open for later development, would something along these lines be
> useful?
>

> class_cycle=[1-9]; where 1 =highest (national cycle route), 2 next (regional
> cycle route, 3 (local cycle route), 5=mountain bike only, 9 = non-cycle-able
>
> class_walk=[1-9]; where 1=national walking route (Pennine Way etc), 2
> regional walking route , 9=non-walkable
>
> class_ride[1-9]; where 1=idea soft wide legal surface for galloping and so
> on.
>

> I guess the current highway tags could alias onto the class_drive tag and
> the highway tag 'residential' would alias onto
> class_drive=unclassified;abutters=residential. So we would
> also have

> [...]

If we go with the "what the road looks like" definition of highway then
highway=cycleway would be those paths that look like a bicycle path.
In the US this would be a paved surface about a meter wide if going one
way and two meters wide for two way that has bicycle signs on it.
For this kind of bike path I would use the highway=cycleway.

Also, in the US we have regular roads with bicycle signs that somehow
magically makes them better than the roads without the signs, and regular
roads with no specific bicycle signs that that legally allow bicycles.
I would not use highway=cycleway for these roads.

The STAGS lecture specifically states that number schemes should not be used.
--
http://bowlad.com