[OSM-talk] A new highway tagging scheme - thinking about tagging highways for cycling and walking as well

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Aug 28 07:58:08 BST 2007

Alex L. Mauer wrote:

> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> > Contrast with a highway=footway, which would be hardened in some way,
> > thus suitable for the buggy and the bike, and no cars.
>
> I don't think a highway=footway needs to be hardened.  Certainly many
> hiking trails are not.  Not even all cycleways are (consider mountain
> biking).

I wouldn't call a mountain bike trail or hiking track a cycleway or
footway ... possibly highway=track would make more sense (was there some
consensus a while back that 'track' meant 'unsuitable for conventional
cars'?).  Perhaps highway=track could be qualified with
bike=yes/foot=yes/4x4=yes as appropriate, which could be rendered as
little icons along the road.

Cameron