[OSM-talk] raw GPS points: editable?

Luca Dionisi luca.dionisi at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 10:24:03 BST 2007

On 8/27/07, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu> wrote:
> In message <73dbe2850708270744u45549839ue32ade16012642 at mail.gmail.com>
>           "Luca Dionisi" <luca.dionisi at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I keep on voting for a way to remove GPS points.
>
> This is perfectly possible, but only a file at a time.
>
> It is mostly intended for removing mistaken uploads rather than for
> trying to fix history though.

Yep. As I said in my original post, deleting the whole
track is not a solution.

> > If vandalism risk is an issue, we could maintain the track
> > but not the points, as a way to redo the upload.
>
> I don't think we would ever want let people delete anything except
> their own points.

Why?  There will be occasional uploaders, that after uploading
a track will never correct it if the road changes.

> It's only a problem for people trying to edit the map base on
> other people's GPS data with no personal knowledge of the area
> in question really.

Not at all.
I'm not talking about someone who wants to delete some points
because he doesn't know why they are there.
I'm talking about a fellow who knows that in a place there was a
road since yesterday, who knows that today the road is somewhere
else, and who wants to share this knowledge.
So, he knows for sure that the old points are misleading. And these
points are misleading also to the users who are aware of the road
changement, because they are not very far from the real road.

> How would you do it? A method to delete all points in a given
> bounding box?

Yes. Sounds acceptable.

On 8/27/07, Jeffrey Martin <dogshed at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not allowed to ride my scooter on some highways in Korea so I've
> walked up the
> sides of the embankments to get waypoints for the ends of the overpasses
> here. If you didn't know what I was doing you might think it was bad data.

I wouldn't think it is bad data.
I would remove points only if I know about a modification in the roads.