[OSM-talk] dangerous cycling lanes (was Re: A new highway tagging scheme - thinking about)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Aug 28 16:43:47 BST 2007

Stephen Gower wrote:

>   Someone on one of the the Oxford Cycling lists recently put into
>   words something I've noticed subconciously round here for a while:
>   "The context in Oxford is always the twin network - main road cycle
>   lanes are provided in parallel with quieter routes."  How can we
>   best mark the distinction between these?

The local bike maps here [1] colour roads based on traffic/suitability
to cycling.  e.g. quiet back streets that might form a good alternative
to a main artery might be coloured green, while a major truck route
might be coloured purple.  Roads with cycle lanes are shown in a
distinct style (in addition to the colouring), and (of course) dedicated
cycle paths are also marked prominently.  Hilly stretches are also
marked (with arrows indicating the direction of the slope).

Having some way to tag such data could potentially make
cyclist-targetted OSM renders much better.

Cameron

[1] http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/14679.asp