[OSM-talk] raw GPS points: editable?

Jeffrey Martin dogshed at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:33:20 BST 2007

On 8/29/07, Luca Dionisi <luca.dionisi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/29/07, Jeffrey Martin <dogshed at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It seems to me like a good news for what I'm looking for.
> > > Are these tags appliable to single GPS points? Consider
> > > a tag for deprecation of a point.
> > > Keep up with the good work!
> > >
> > > --Luca

> > I don't think it's practical to tag individual points.
> >
> > It might be nice to split them. If I drive through three
> > towns I could split each town into its own file
> > before upload. The truth is I don't want to take
> > the time to do it.
> >
> > The tag thing is confusing to me. It won't allow tags with a space.
> > I'm not sure what kind of tags to put on my files.
> >
> > It won't let me change the tags.
> >
> > If I could upload my notes and waypoints I think that
> > would be very helpful.
> >
> > I would like JOSM to download each track file as
> > a separate layer.
> >
> > --
> > http://bowlad.com

> Wait, I'm not sure to understand.
> What I thought is that the tagging system we were talking about
> is *not* the tagging system you can see when you upload a
> track.
> Something more near to the XML level in the GPX format or
> similar.
>
> Am I wrong?

I don't know if the gpx format has a place for tagging individual
dots in the track, but if you want tags in the file then I think
you might be better off with a list of waypoints to go with
your track. This is what I'm doing with Korea.

If I have a set of waypoints with a little track I can upload
it to the website where it is available for download. If you
download it from the website without using JOSM and then
load it into JOSM from your harddrive you get the waypoints
displayed. Read the waypoint notes I have posted on the wiki and you can
map Korea. Hopefully the waypoint notes give you a clue
about which tracks you can ignore.

-Jeff Martin

--
http://bowlad.com