[OSM-talk] gosmore crashes after a few searches

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 10:13:03 BST 2007

On 8/30/07, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere at hungry.com> wrote:

> [Martijn van Oosterhout]
> > Ask the bug reporter, but if you use the program yourself you can do
> > it also. It slows the program a bit, but with a bit of perserverence
> > you can hopefully get results.
>
> Now the valgrind output is available from
> <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/439732>, and gosmore seem to write past
> allocated memory, and I suspect that mess seriously with the control
> structure used by malloc() and friends.

Ugh, looks like the gosmore binary has been stripped, so there's no
debugging information. The output is full of lines like:

==22233==    by 0x804BB45: (within /usr/bin/gosmore)
==22233==    by 0x804BB6F: (within /usr/bin/gosmore)

Two options:
1. Try rebuilding it to get the same binary but without stripping it
and then run it under gdb to determine where that address is
2. Get the bug reporter to run an unstripped binary

(might be worthwhile taking out the dh_strip from the package until
the bugs are weeded out).

I'll see what I can work out but it's not going to be easy...

Have a nice day,