[OSM-talk] Name Finder and abbreviations

Rob Reid rob at robreid.co.nz
Sat Dec 1 22:40:13 GMT 2007

Name Finder has a growing list abbreviations known and those it supports
here <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Name_finder:Abbreviations>.

The Naming Conventions section on the Editing Standards and Conventions
page
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions>
currently suggests not using abbreviations until a standard table is
available.

I realise the conventions page may be out of date regarding this and am
happy to update it but wanted to check the current state of play
regarding abbreviations first.

Are we ok to use the abbreviations currently supported by Name Finder?
Can they be used in all 'name' tags or just a subset (eg highway and place)?
Is there any other search applications or tools that will be affected by
abbreviations?

Cheers

rcr