[OSM-talk] Why do postcode searches zoom to level 12?

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Thu Dec 6 13:49:42 GMT 2007

In message <200712061306.44314.tom at acrewoods.net>
        Tom Chance <tom at acrewoods.net> wrote:

> Is there a good reason why postcode searches load up a map at zoom level 12?

I'm not sure to be honest. When I wrote the current search code I think
that I just copied what the previous search code did. It's hardwired in
the source of the site anyway, so is easy to change.

> Most of the time you search for a postcode to see exactly where it is, so you
> can get to a house / office / etc. I would have thought that 15 or 16 would
> be a much more sensible default -- close enough to actually see most street
> names, far enough out to get an idea of where those streets are.

I would think that 15 looks about right personally.

> On an unrelated note, markers disappear at zoom level 16, which isn't very
> useful! Try zooming in one level from this:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlon=-0.156508&mlat=51.382090&lat=51.38&lon=-0.1544&zoom=15

It's a bug caused by removing numZoomLevels from the map when it was
added to the base layers (which have different limits). As a result
the map was defaulting to 16 and the marker layer was inheriting that.

I'm just deploying a fix now.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)