[OSM-talk] place=locality

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at web.de
Mon Dec 10 09:57:31 GMT 2007

Brent Easton schrieb:
> Hi Ulf,
>
> Comments is the place where discussion of the idea takes place, surely they have no bearing on what is being voted on?
>
> If someone adds a comment that place=locality should be used to tag whales, I am not going to update the Rationale to say it is not to be used to tag  whales! I have added an additional comment in the Comments section, drawing attention back to the actual text we are voting on.

Yes and no.

Often comments are used to clarify the idea of the proposal. Things are
discussed where the tag could also be used and some will agree or
disagree. So a mapper get's a good idea if the tag is suitable for his
current situation that is probably not exactly as the one described in
rationale. A form of "optional addition" to the proposal - if you like
to say it that way.

The locality had lot's of comments where it could also be used, without
even a note that this would or wouldn't be a good idea - and why. So I
guess mappers reading this page get's the wrong idea where to use the
tag - which I think is a bad way to guide people ...

Regards, ULFL