[OSM-talk] Map Features List

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Dec 11 17:55:18 GMT 2007

On 11/12/2007 17:29, Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
> Chris Hill wrote:
>> Sent: 11 December 2007 5:17 PM
>> To: David James; talk at openstreetmap.org
>> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Map Features List
>>

>>> From: David James <david at djames.org.uk>
>>> On Tue, December 11, 2007 4:19 pm, Chris Hill wrote:
>>> My reading of the deprecated fetures page is that it is only
>>> abutters=mixed that is deprecated.
>>>
>>> If abutters is deprecated in its entirety, what is the recommeded
>>> replacement?
>> I read it as abutters is replaced by landuse, since all of the abutter
>> types are matched by landuse and with more options too.
>> Cheers
>> Chris
>>

> No, please don't delete the abutters tag from Map Features. The Abutters tag
> applies to ways and is separate to any landuse tagging. The abutters tag is
> still widely used, including by me.

Me too.

Even though it doesn't render, it is potentially useful for route
planners to lower speed limits allowed for on urban roads of different
kinds where no other information is given. There's no other easy way of
telling the difference between say a 60mph rural primary a 30mph urban
primary, unless someone has been kind enough to explicitly include speed
limit information.

I also have a plan to create a little tool to work out urban envelopes
from abutter and highway type information.

David