[OSM-talk] [Tilesathome] Promoting/demoting items

graham graham at theseamans.net
Wed Dec 12 08:29:55 GMT 2007

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> p_o_w are often churches and those are landmarks.  I'd vote to remove all
> pubs from the default maps and offer them as opt-in overlays.  At least,
> in city centers.

I think this is maybe a particularly British thing - but when giving
verbal directions to a place it is very common to use pubs as references:

'To get to Staines, follow the A30 to the Crooked Billet then turn left'
'Keep going along the A4 to the Master Robert and turn right towards Heston'
'Walk down the High Street to the Bell, and Littlewoods is just round
the corner from there on your right'
etc. (and those particular pubs are genuine landmarks really used to
give directions)

'Normal' maps tend not to show the pubs; to my mind, they are one of the
distinguishing features of OSM that makes our maps closer to (UK) social
usage.

Churches on the other hand are often not landmarks in my area: I have a
Spiritualist Church near my home, which is just an ordinary house (but
has been a p_o_w for many years). Many 18th/19th century Protestant
chapels are just square buildings with nothing distinctive on the
outside.  Many muslim p_o_ws are also ordinary houses. But mosques with
minarets, like churches with steeples, are definitely landmarks. And we
don't log whether a building has a steeple/minaret/tower.

So I'd vote for keeping the status quo.. but maybe we need some way to
allow for national variations?

On the other hand, I haven't even been mapping restaurants because there
are so many of them and I don't want a map full of them by default. Is
anyone actually working on optional layers?

Graham