[OSM-talk] TIGER in Santa Barbara County, CA

Matthew Perry perrygeo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:52:21 GMT 2007

Dave,

On Dec 12, 2007 11:25 PM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 17:56 -0800, Matthew Perry wrote:
> > How about this for a solution? All Tiger data within the BBOX of
> > 34.35, -119.93, 34.52, -119.61 gets removed. Then we can merge
> > everything along the edges? I think thats a fair choice.
>
> Just a quick in here look shows me that TIGER adds an awful lot of stuff
> to this area.
>
> This is completely unscientific, but I took a fairly random chunk of
> area in Santa Barbara county:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?mlat=34.48462670546644&mlon=-119.73978426792107&zoom=11
>
> There are ~6800 objects in there.
>
> 96% of them are TIGER objects, 3% are from you, and a very small portion
> are from other sources.  Now, I could have just happened to pick the one
> area that you haven't gotten to.  But, I just want to make sure you
> understand the magnitude of what you're asking for.  If you really think
> it's best for OSM in Santa Barbara to get rid of 96% of its data (even
> if it is the _worst_ 96%), then let's go for it.

 I had originally started OSM due to the poor quality of TIGER data.
But looking over the recent upload , it actually looks decent (for the
most part). I think it might be best for the sake of the map to cut my
losses and just go with the tiger data.

 So, in a complete reversal of my previous opinion, would there be a
way to delete all the road data in that bbox that was created by *me*
(roads only, leave the cycle and foot paths) ? We can manually merge
the small amount of data from other users  and fix up the tiger data
where necessary. That might be the best use of everyone's time.

--
Matthew T. Perry
http://www.perrygeo.net