[OSM-talk] TIGER in Santa Barbara County, CA

Dave Hansen dave at sr71.net
Thu Dec 13 15:12:09 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 03:52 -0800, Matthew Perry wrote:
>  So, in a complete reversal of my previous opinion, would there be a
> way to delete all the road data in that bbox that was created by *me*
> (roads only, leave the cycle and foot paths) ? We can manually merge
> the small amount of data from other users  and fix up the tiger data
> where necessary. That might be the best use of everyone's time.

I put myself in basically the same predicament you are in.  I had a
couple thousand nodes added for my area when I started working on TIGER.
Now, there's a *LOT* of data, and I can assure you that my county in
Oregon has much crappier TIGER data than you have.  My own street is
something like 30m away from where it is supposed to be.  A major
arterial by my house is almost 200m off, and to make it worse, it's laid
right on top of another smaller street!  That makes using the satellite
imagery useless. :(

Anyway, I've been working my way though it gradually farther and farther
from my home.  I've been using the JOSM validator plugin and its
"crossing roads" detection which has been excellent in finding places
where TIGER and non-TIGER collide.

Generally, JOSM highlights two ways, I notice they have similar names,
check that they're decently aligned, and delete the old way.
Occasionally, TIGER is really messed up, and I'll just delete it or
truncate it -- whatever is appropriate.

I can see you've done a lot of great work, and it would be just as much
a shame to wipe out what you have done as it would be to delete the
TIGER data.  How about we leave your roads in there for reference and
people can slowly remove them?

-- Dave