[OSM-talk] cycle paths in Belgium

Lambertus osm at na1400.info
Mon Dec 17 10:38:39 GMT 2007

Jo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some trouble tagging roads with bicycle paths here in Belgium.
No problem, most of this is is described in the 'map_features'[1] page
in the wiki.

> When they are separated from the highway by half a meter or a meter
> grass or some bush. No problem, I can draw them separately and tag them
> as cycleway=lane. How to indicate they are allowed in one way only or in
> both directions?
According to [1] this should be cycleway=track. Personally I assume a
cycleway=track is both directions and cycleway=lane is oneway normally .
I use oneway=yes/no for the allowed directions if they differ from the
standard, the wiki is not too clear about that.

> When they are part of the highway and only marked by a different color
> or a broken line, it gets more interesting.
Those should be tagged with cycleway=lane.

> Most roads have bicycle lanes on both sides if they have them. If I add
> cycleway=lane to a highway, does this imply there is a lane on both
> sides? If one of those lanes is allowed in two directions and the other
> is not (the default), how does one indicate that?
Good question :) I don't know so I haven't mapped stuff like that yet.

> Some roads have a bicycle lane on one side, which is meant for the
> traffice in that direction. Bicycles going the same direction as the
> cars have to go on the street there.
That's a cycleway=lane

> Others have a bicycle lane on one
> side, which is meant for bicycle traffic in both directions.
That's a cycleway=track

> Or is all this rather irrelevant and is it enough to indicate there is a
> bicycle lane and then the users of the map will see it when they get there.
For route planning it would be nessesary to indicate which directions
are possible so a 'standard' should be determined for your examples.

BTW: I think the picture besided the cycleway=lane should be put next to
  cycleway=track.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_features#Cycleway