[OSM-talk] disputed territories

J.D. Schmidt jdsmobile at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 13:03:48 GMT 2007

Tony Bowden skrev:

> Map-making has always had a political element to it. I'm not advocating
> we try to solve all these issues just now, but I do think more and more
> of them will come to the fore as the project grows.

True. Maps were made, not just for navigational purposes, but also to
"prove" one country's right over an area.

Hmmmm, I think I'm on to something here...
I wonder, if I start to process the southern part of Sweden on
OpenStreetMap.org (Skåne, Halland & Blekinge), and tag the roads with
the old danish names, the usurpers up in Stockholm finally will be
forced to hand back those areas to its rightfull owners, Denmark, after
having wrongfully occupied those areas since February 27, Anno Domini 1658.

I'll become a national hero, if that succeeds. Although ofcourse I'll
wreck any chances of ever becoming a Nobel Laureate, by getting the
Nobel Peace Prize.

Ehh, wait a moment - If I substitute "Skåne, Halland & Blekinge" with
"Turkish Republic of Cyprus", "Stockholm" with "Ankara", "Denmark" with
"Cyprus" and "February 27, Anno Domini 1658" with "July 20, Anno Domini
1974" I could be a National hero in Cyprus. The weather is warmer there,
right ??

So there you have it, that mapper guy in the greek part of Cyprus, just
wants to be a national hero, and of course OpenStreetMap.org is where
you become such a person - Just look at FakeSteveC.

Dutch