[OSM-talk] Render icons for parking areas

David James david at djames.org.uk
Wed Dec 19 00:18:16 GMT 2007

On Tue, December 18, 2007 10:09 pm, Robin Paulson wrote:
> why does the icon blindly get placed at the centre of gravity? i am
> confident the maths to figure out where to place the label, whilst
> ensuring it is inside the bounds of the area (and complying with any other
> set of arbitrary rules), would be fairly trivial to implement. this
> double-tagging of items seems very clunky to me, something i had often
> wondered about; i did not realise this was the reason.
>
> if no-one else is willing/a solution does not exist already, i will look
> into this

Someone earlier said he was using the feature that nodes generate a 'P'
icon and areas don't to distinguish between a public parking area and a
private one. That seems to me to be a useful ability.

If changes are made so that areas generate a 'P' icon, it might be useful
to have a tagging mechanism to allow suppressing of the 'P' icon (or does
that already exist and I've not realised it?)

--
David James