[OSM-talk] Render icons for parking areas

Paul Jaggard paul at jaggard.net
Wed Dec 19 12:43:08 GMT 2007

Just to chip in here, I use OSM maps on a number of community websites I run
in South Gloucestershire, and I've had my first complaint over what the map
shows.

There's a diving centre in an old quarry here:
http://www.informationfreeway.org/
?lat=51.623&lon=-2.427&zoom=15&layers=0000F0B0

and I've marked in the track around the lake and the parking area used by
the divers.  The whole patch is private property, and apparently they have
serious trespass problems.  The comment was that the map was showing what
appears to be a public car park, and suggested I remove the access road,
track and parking from the map.

Both the parking area and the track are marked access=private in the data,
but this doesn't carry through to the rendering.  Mapnik in particular marks
up the parking area with a [P] symbol.

I'm displaying the Mapnik tiles on my sites at the moment - I'd rather use
the t at h ones as I think these look friendlier at higher zooms, but I won't
while the zoom 17 tiles are peppered with (c) messages - which to my mind
looks messy and confusing, and gives completely the wrong impression of the
project - an OS get-a-map map has one copyright message on it, our open and
enlightened one has hundreds.  If this information is for us mappers rather
than our consumers, stick it on the maplint layer instead.  But that's a
rant for another day.

So, my wish list is:

* Do not place a [P] symbol on access=private or permissive car-parks (I
also have a number of pubs where the icon on the car-park round the back
dominates the pub icon itself).

* Render ways with access=private slightly differently (a pink core or
something?), otherwise we'll get people demanding that their bits are
removed from the map.

Cheers

Paul (southglos)