[OSM-talk] osm2shp

Damocov OSM at damian-fell.co.uk
Thu Dec 20 01:36:11 GMT 2007

Has anyone managed to get osmlib-export to work on windows?

I seem to be goign mad, fist libxml-ruby wouldn't install, having I
think fixed that one, I'm now getting empty shape files created and a
variety of strange error messages stemming I think from georuby.

In fact has anyone anywhere managed to find a way to convert a.osm file
to a set of shapes or a GML file in windows. (I don't count the josm to
gpx export followed by gp2shp.exe as a valid conversion method as it
loses attribute data and wont work for area features).

I'm trying to persuade some colleagues that OSM data is worth looking
into for future publications but if we can't even get it into our GIS
(ESRI or Intergraph) by converting a .osm file into either, SHP, MIF,
TAB, GML, MDB I'm onto a losing streak.

Damian Fell
(Damocov)