[OSM-talk] Best way to draw areas with holes?

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Thu Dec 20 13:55:04 GMT 2007

Hi,

Some area features would be drawn in GIS world as polygons with holes
but that is not well supported by OSM data model.  I mean, for example,
landuse which has islands with some other landuse or big buildings
having inner courts or patios.  I have seen that users have solved this
in many innovative ways but most of them seem to lead to more or less
odd rendering at least in case of buildings.  Is there any recommended
way to draw and tag this kind of objects?  To draw an area in the
halves, or delineate a building as a fat loop sharing some points at a
seem (non-existing in real world) to make it look like a closed area, or
what?

Regards,

-Jukka Rahkonen-