[OSM-talk] UK 'C' roads, 'ref', and Potlatch

Tony Bowden tony at tmtm.com
Fri Dec 21 01:48:30 GMT 2007

In Potlatch setting a road to be 'tertiary' doesn't give a 'ref' option
like primary/secondary/etc. (Actually, worse than that, it actively
*removes* any ref that's already set on it.) Setting ref=C263, for
example, makes potlatch change its input box from Tertiary to '(no
preset)'.

I see from the wiki[1] that there has been some discussion as to what
'tertiary' is meant to mean, but (in the UK at least) it seems that in
most cases roads that we know are 'C' roads should be marked as this,
and where the number is known[2] it seems to make sense to add it.

I'm not sure though whether this is just a feature request for Potlatch,
or whether there's previous discussion that led to its current behaviour.

Thoughts?

Tony

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Tag:highway%3Dtertiary

[2] Although they're only rarely signposted as such, official government
documents (for example roadworks notifications, planning applications,
building schemes, etc. often reference them)