[OSM-talk] American or british english

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 10:10:53 GMT 2007

On 20/12/2007, Hanno Böck <ml at hboeck.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 20 Dezember 2007 schrieb Robin Paulson:
> > i presume this is for things like 'The Arndale Centre' i.e. proper
> > nouns (names) of buildings/areas etc? in which case, the spelling is
> > dependent on whatever the owner of the structure chooses.
> > if they spell it 'centre', then it's 'centre'.
> > if they spell it 'center', then it's 'center'.
> > if they spell it 'senterr' then it's 'senterr'.
> > imo we're here to reflect reality, not make political or otherwise
> > statements about the validity of any language or dialect over any
> > other
>
> ACK, if it's for names, stick to the one which is used there.
>
> > or maybe it's for the name of the actual tag key? in that case, it
> > doesn't really matter - whatever the proposer comes up with. i would
> > hope there wouldn't be any silly arguments over which to use, so long
> > as everyone sticks to it when they map
>
> I thought about that. I just proposed education_centre, where I thought about
> it.
> I don't mind either, just was curious if there's some policy.

Mostly so far tag names are GB English, ie: highway=motorway is
definitely using the GB meaning of these words, and we have
amenity=sports_centre, and postal_code= (not zip_code= ).
So if we're just sticking to something then GB English would be the
obvious choice, but try to avoid confusing terms such as
sport=football...

Dave