[OSM-talk] TomTom logging with v7 software?

Magne Mæhre magne at samfundet.no
Sun Dec 23 11:28:27 GMT 2007

Jon Bright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a TomTom One.  I've successfully been using TripMaster to create
> logs.
>
> TomTom Home recently offered me an upgrade of the TomTom's software to
> v7, which I installed.  Since then, TripMaster's display is garbled.
> I've looked at the TripMaster site and there's a workaround mentioned
> for this, which I'll be trying later.

Hi Jon.
I don't know if you figured this out, but what I did was to edit the
configuration file and changed "screenadaptation" from "none" to "rider2".
This was on a 910 with v7 software.

> I thought I'd use this opportunity, though, to try different software
> for my logging.  TripMaster often seems slow and its interface is (imho)
> not too intuitive.

Agreed.  I tried to lower the "period" to 1 second (also tried 2 and 3),
but what I experience is that some times I get consecutive log entries
for a couple of seconds, and then it may be 5-15 seconds before the next
entry.  Worst case, I think it didn't log anything for a couple of minutes.

The source code doesn't seem to be available, so I cannot tell why it
behaves like this.   It would be interesting to write a new simple app
that just logged the position (and didn't do anything else).  Maybe
even disable the default tomtom app, as I usually don't need it when
mapping.  With only limited time available, it would be great to have
someone to bounce ideas off, so if any of you have experience with the
tomtom sdk and hardware ... :)

> I took a look at Event_Logger's site - the author recommends not
> installing it on TomTom One v3 or v4 hardware.  As far as I can tell, I
> have v4 hardware.

I had little, if any, luck with using eventlogger myself.  I could never
get any raw positions logged.

--Magne