[OSM-talk] Freemap enhancements

Nick Whitelegg nick150971 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 28 17:51:53 GMT 2007

A few Freemap enhancements I've made over the past few days, mentioned on the blog but not on the OSM lists yet:

- SRTM contours now cover most of Scotland as well as England and Wales; this is possible as my hosting provider have increased the available disc space.
- Stronger links to Wikipedia - you can now click on a POI and link to its Wikipedia article. This will use the "wikipedia" tag from OSM if available, if not, it will guess based on the name of the POI. If the latter is the case, the user is given the opportunity to specify the real Wikipedia article name.
- Footpath descriptions (muddy, steep etc) now link to the "description" tag on OSM rather than a local description database on Freemap. Similarly, the description tag on POIs is now displayed.

Nick