[OSM-talk] Ideas for OSM enhancements

Laurence Penney lorp at lorp.org
Sat Dec 29 17:56:59 GMT 2007

Robin Paulson wrote:
 > no need to create a new site, this is exactly what wikimapia.org is for

Thanks Robin, I'd forgotten about WikiMapia. I got excited when
polygon editing was added (March 2007), but I think I must have
decided against diving into it with gusto when I read the license, in
particular section 1F:

"F. All User Submissions of all users and all WikiMapia data are
available through WikiMapia Website, WikiMapia API and other current
or future WikiMapia services for  non-commercial purposes only:
personal or educational. In addition, WikiMapia provides an "map on
your page" feature, which you may incorporate into your own personal
websites for use in accessing the information on the Website.
WikiMapia reserves the right to discontinue any aspect of the
WikiMapia Website at any time."

http://wikimapia.org/terms_reference.html

Do you know much about the team behind WikiMapia? I and I think many
OSMers would be worried about the license changing arbitrarily, like
CDDB/Gracenote.

- L