[OSM-talk] Freemap/Mapnik - areas now working

Nick Whitelegg Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk
Thu Feb 1 10:08:03 GMT 2007

Thanks for all the replies on this. The main bug was that my way-cleaning
code, ironically, completely rejected circular ways even if all the
segments were aligned in the right direction! :-)

Anyhow Freemap/Mapnik (OSM renderer optimised for the countryside) now
shows (most) areas properly - see
 http://www.free-map.org.uk/mapnik/.

Main issues to resolve now:
- heaths are too orange. I really want a more neutral brownish red colour.
- show urban areas in grey. Use Yahoo! imagery to derive urban limits
(draw with Potlatch), and areas tagged with place=city?
- contour height labelling, which could be tricky.
- working out how this is going to be rendered "in the real world".
Probably a combination of a cache and planet.osm would be best. Steve -
would it be ok for me to host the tiles, and the tile generating code,
permanently on dev or would a tiles at home approach be better?
- estimation field boundaries, again drawn using Potlatch/Yahoo!

For the moment testing will continue using a 100x50km area in Southern
England, and a smaller area southeast of Chester in Cheshire.

Nick