[OSM-talk] Permissive or Suggested

Ben Robbins ben_robbins_ at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 3 16:08:34 GMT 2007

I've been wondering about this for some time, but now really need to sort it
casue In the last week I've mapped the following a lot.  Permissive ways...

On the Recomended UK public rights of way page (
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/UK_public_rights_of_way#Permissive_footpath
) It says that I should attach foot=permiisve.  I have 2 concerns with this.

1)  The tag seems to be a bit messy and not fall into the neat catagorising
style that was originally made.  Shouldn't it be permiisve=footway,
bridleway....etc?  Then 1 catagorie holds them all.

2)  There are pemissive and suggested footways.  Now although in the
parragraph it says forestry commision land is a good example of permissive,
I don't think it really is.  I can think of a few examples of where
permissive doesnt seem correct.  The New Forest.  Scotland in General,
Finland (from irc disccussion).   These paths are permissive in the sence
that they could be removed, but Its extreamly unlikely.  I would say no more
likely than public footpaths being closed (e.g Foot and Mouth outbreak).
These footways are really suggested, not permissive.   The differnce in
these 2 types should also really be visually recognisable in the renders
because in route planning a person should probably be sceptical of planning
a permissive way into the trip, but can safely add a suggested path without
much concern.

For Rendering I was thinking permissive could probabky be dashed lines, but
suggested could be desaturated.   OS used desaturated and dashed as dashed
is how they usually mark there ways, and this works well, but it would be
nice to render things differently to how they do it.

In short my suggestion is permiisve= or suggested= as keys, not messy
values.

Ben

P.S. can people check and discuss Suggested tags on the wiki please?  The
page is getting new stuff added faster than things get resolved.   The later
a tag is introduced the harder it is to impliment it into the ever expanding
osm map.