[OSM-talk] Bus guideway

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Sat Feb 3 17:07:03 GMT 2007

Cambridgeshire has just started construction of Europe's longest guided
busway (25km: http://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/transport/guided/), mostly
along the track bed of a disused railway. The first section will probably
open in about 2 years from now.

I happened to cross this on my latest expedition, which reminded me to ask:
how should I represent this, once it is well enough advanced to be worth it?
Perhaps propose highway=bus_guideway?

I'm reluctant to put e.g. highway=unclassified, access=no, psv=yes because
it is really a radically different kind of way (a hybrid between a road and
a railway - unlike some other bus guideways, this will be a concrete trough
which other vehicles would find physically difficult to drive in even if
they were allowed; and it really should show upon the map as something
different (I migt be inclined to do it as dashes like osmarender now does a
railway, but in blue, for example).

There are others in
 Adelaide, Australia
 Ottawa, Canada
 Essen, Germany
 Edinburgh, UK
 Leeds, UK
 Bradford, UK
 Crawley, UK
Has anyone already done these, and if so how?

David